In Fitness or sports, when you pursue the challenges, there will be some risk of injuries. Today, we will discuss some common injuries, including Lower Back Pain, Wrist Pain, and how to avoid them.
First, we have to learn some common causes of injuries:
- Instant Injury, including strain, contusion etc.
- Chronic Injury, which is caused by over use/ misuse of particular muscle & joint for a long period of time.
#1 Lower Back Pain
One of the most common injury. Also known as Low Back Pain. We often bent over our upper body in life & fitness, particularly when we pick up the dumbbells or do a bent-over exercise, we might get hurt. Or when we are Deadlifting. This instant moment strains our joint/muscle.
To reduce the risk, we can do the followings:
- Wherever we pick up something or dumbbell from the ground, we should keep our core/lower back tight and maintain a neutral spine with a moderate pace. Just like we are doing a Deadlift, then the risks of injury can be reduced.
- Besides, proper warm ups are essential as well. We can do some dynamic stretch on the spine, like a J-curl, which can prepare your lower back & spine for the training.
- When we finished our training, particularly Back day or Leg day, we should also do some static stretch to reduce the tightness of the lower back.
- Moreover, for those who sit a lot or having pelvic issue, particularly Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT), either you sit or stand, Your lower back might still get very tight, and causing the pain. So, you should also stretch your lower back regularly. And beware of any sign of Anterior Pelvic Tilt (APT). If so, then try to solve it.
#2 Shoulder Pain
This is the most common pain in Fitness world. Since almost all the upper body exercises involve shoulder, and thus, may cause any shoulder issue, particularly the Pressing exercises, like Bench Press, Shoulder Press etc. If you are pressing with Internally Rotated Shoulder, you might just get hurt.
There are couple ligaments and tendons crossing the shoulder joint, and Internal Rotation will reduce the room inside the joint, then Long head of Biceps, Supraspinatus muscle can easily get impinged, and then get inflammation.
- This could happen in a Heavy set, Especially when you trying too hard to finish the last rep where you are very fatigue. Shoulder Internal Rotation might just be used for more strength, But also increase the risk of injury.
- Sure, it might just doesn’t hurt you if it is just a rare scenario. Some get hurt probably by doing it over and over again.
It doesn’t matter when will you get hurt, what we can do is:
- To avoid internal rotation when pressing.
- What’s more, we shall also improve our external rotation muscle to balance the muscle & the force. During warm-ups, we should activate external rotation muscle, and also, make sure all range of motion of your shoulder can be reached, clockwisely & anti clockwisely. Make sure your shoulder can be elevated, 360° rotated, and drawing circles without any pain.
- When you finished your workout, stretch your shoulder to reduce the tightness in your shoulder.
#3 Wrist Pain
Most people tend to ignore this pain. The pain is often not that big. So people just don’t pay much attention.
The common causes:
- Improper Grip
- Too high intensity (too heavy)
- Flexibility issue.
About the grip, Especially for pressing exercises, like Push Up, Bench Press, Shoulder Press etc. If the wist is bending out/twisting, then a lot of pressure will go to the wrist and cause pain. We should use a normal upright Grip, no bending out nor twisting.
The same applies to Curls. No bending out nor twisting, keep a normal upright Grip.
About the very high intensity, you wrist cannot endure that big load even when you are using a proper grip. Like a Handstand, HSPU etc would cause a giant pressure on the wrist.
Besides, some people will feel the pain/discomfort during a Push Up. This might be a Flexibility issue. Let’s take a look at our hand placement.
- Point Up: More flexibility is required. For whose people having a lower wrist flexibility might find it discomfortable.
- To resolve this problem, we can turn our hand to the side, to reduce the discomfort. So, how much (in what degree) should we turn our hand is completely depending on our Flexibility. As long as you don’t feel any discomfort, it is good enough.
Also, your hand position matters as well.
- Placing higher: Lower the pressure of your wrist.
- Placing lower: Higher the pressure of your wrist. When we train planche-like movements (Placing Lower), our wrist is enduring much pressureand therefore, it is easy to get hurt.
To reduce the risk of injury, .
- We have to warm up properly. Wrist warm up should include wrist rotation, try different pressure direction, just like the demo in the video.
- We should always train in a progressively overload manner, from lighter load to heavier load.
- And also notice any improper grip/ wrist bending out etc.
- When we finished the workout, stretching is needed to restore the elasticity of the muscle/joint.
About Injury, precaution is the most important part. If you are injured already, then what should you do?
Rest is vital. If you feel slight pain, then may be rest alone is enough to you to heal. Just make sure to reduce/eliminate the related training exercises.
If you feel obvious pain, then seeking a professional help might be a good choice. Just go to Orthopedics (Bone) or Physical Therapist. Don’t try to go to a general doctor who doesn’t specialised in this area, as all they can help you is a pain killer. So it is not enough. But, Chinese doctors can be another good options as well, Like Bone-setting, Acupuncture.
When you got injuries, you should figure out the reasons, is it a bad exercise form, too heavy, too much volume or other reasons. Once you know the reason, you can avoid making the same mistakes again.